What Is Best Shaving Cream For Men? We Look At 5 Great Options
What is the best shaving cream for men? When you shave, the lubricant is as important as the type of shaver you use. Some might argue that it is in fact even more important as it has a huge effect on how your skin feels after the shave. There are three types of shaving lubricant you can use, namely cream, foam or gel. Each have their own pros and cons, and which one you choose will depend on what your unique personal needs are.
Shaving Cream vs Shaving Gel vs Shaving Foam
Foam is inexpensive, easy to use and convenient but also tends to dry out your skin more than gel or cream does. Gel typically offers good lubrication, and if you wanted to see your facial hair when you shave (for example if you are going for a goatee) you can use a clear gel. If you want a rich and nicely lubricated shave, then you have to go the cream route. shaving creams are usually glycerine-based to reduce the chances of the cream drying your skin out, and their moisturising properties make them especially good if you have particularly tough stubble to contend with.
5 Great Shaving Creams
Below I list 5 shaving creams that I really like and that I think are the best shaving cream for men. That is not to say that they are necessarily the best shaving cream for you. As I mentioned before, when it comes to grooming each guy will have his own unique needs and preferences. So I suggest you try a few shaving creams out and see which one works best for you. If there is a shaving cream that is not on my list, but that you firmly believe should be considered as one of the best shaving creams for men, please let me know by posting a comments in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!
Cremo Astonishingly Superior Shave Cream
Cremo’s Astonishingly Superior Shave Cream provides a shave so smooth, you can comfortably go against the grain for an exceptionally close shave. Unlike many shaving creams and foams, this rich cream formula has no air, which means your razor is in constant contact with your skin to eliminate nicks and razor burn.
It is formulated with unique water activated molecules, which provide extremely slick lubrication for the skin to achieve a comfortable shave every time. Skin conditioning ingredients leave skin smooth long after shaving. The combination of excellent lubrication, conditioning ingredients, and a pleasant scent make this a serious contender for the best shaving cream for men.
- Water activated molecules reduce nicks and razor burn
- Highly concentrated formula to outlast most gels and foams
- Formulated with powerful skin conditioners to leave skin exceptionally smooth after shaving
- Effective enough to allow for shaving against the grain for a long-lasting shave
- Pleasant scent with subtle orange notes
- Some ingredients can cause problems with very sensitive skin
- Takes some adjusting for those accustomed to using traditional gels or foams
- Must reapply water repeatedly to keep it lubricated
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Taylor of Old Bond Street has long been one of the premiere names in men’s shaving. By using the finest quality ingredients, their products consistently set a high standard for the best shaving cream for men. Their original sandalwood shaving cream comes in a convenient bowl that makes lathering easy.
When used with a brush, it foams to a rich lather for an exceptionally close shave. A little goes a long way – just a small amount of the product provides enough lather for several passes. It has a very pleasant, masculine smell, and is available in other scents including peppermint, cedarwood, and almond.
It should be no surprise to veterans in men’s shaving that Taylor of Old Bond Street has produced what I consider to be a top choice for the best shaving cream for men.
- Exceptionally rich lather
- Included bowl allows you to lather without a separate bowl
- Provides an extremely close shave with no irritation
- Skin-moisturizing ingredients leave skin soft after shaving
- Available in multiple pleasant scents
- Sometimes leaves a residue on face and brush
- Can cause irritation on extremely sensitive skin
Pacific Shaving Company All Natural Shaving Cream
Many shaving creams and foams on the market today contain harsh chemicals that can act as skin irritants, especially on sensitive skin. Pacific Shaving Company’s all natural, fully organic shaving cream offers a gentle alternative that is suitable for even the most sensitive skin.
The cream starts by softening the hair to eliminate any pulling or tugging, and offers superior lubrication with its low lather formula. Skin stays soft and smooth long after shaving thanks to its skin-hydrating ingredients. If you’re looking for the best shaving cream for men with sensitive skin, I think Pacific’s all natural formula is one of the best on the market today.
- Unique low lather formula provides an exceptionally smooth shave
- A little goes a long way, with 3 oz lasting up to 40 shaves
- All natural, organic ingredients are gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin
- Pleasant, natural scent
- Skin hydrating ingredients keep skin healthy and smooth long after shaving
- Takes a bit of trial and error to find the right ratio of water to cream for a proper lather
Barbasol Original Thick and Rich Cream Men Shaving Cream
Barbasol’s original shaving cream has been around since before many of us were old enough to shave. It’s been a shaving routine staple for many of our fathers and even grandfathers. For decades, it’s been considered the best shaving cream for men, and it remains a top choice for many men today.
This traditional foaming shaving cream comes in an aerosol can that makes applying it a breeze – no brush required. The lather comes out thick and stays that way, requiring minimal reapplications to achieve a clean shave. Its fresh, clean scent is reminiscent of an old-school barber shop.
Recently, Barbasol updated these cans with a rust-proof bottom to eliminate annoying rust rings on your counter or bathtub edge.
Barbasol’s traditional shave cream is an effective and economical choice for the best shaving cream for men.
- Thick lather holds its texture throughout shaving for an easy shave
- Leaves skin hydrated and soft after use
- Fresh, clean scent
- Provides a close shave with minimal irritation
- Convenient formula doesn’t require a brush to apply
- Can has a rust-proof bottom to prevent rust rings
- Less lubricating than some other brands
- Some ingredients may cause irritation on very sensitive skin
C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream with Eucalyptus Oil
Proraso’s original formula has long been considered the best shaving cream for men. They teamed up with C.O. Bigelow to produce a unique shaving cream formulated with menthol and eucalyptus oil. It lathers into a creamy consistency that effectively softens the hair and skin, providing exceptional lubrication for a smooth shave with minimal irritation. The menthol provides a soothing cooling sensation and a pleasant scent.
Just a small amount of this product will produce enough lather for several passes. With regular use, a single tube can last up to 6 months. The small tube with a twist-on cap is convenient for leak-proof traveling. Because of its effectiveness and convenience, I think this is the best shaving cream for men who travel a lot.
- Lather provides exceptional lubrication for a smooth, close shave
- Does not leave skin tight or dry after use
- Eucalyptus and menthol provide a soothing cooling sensation
- Small tube with twist-on cap is perfect for travel
- A little goes a long way, making this tube last for a long time
- Does not contain moisturizing ingredients
- Tends to dry fairly quickly once applied
- Menthol scent may be overpowering for those who don’t enjoy menthol
What Do You Think – What Is The Best Shaving Cream For Men?
Above I listed 5 shaving creams that I think are pretty good, but are they the best shaving cream for men out there? There are a lot of other shaving creams out there. The best shaving cream for you might not be one of the creams I listed above, as all of us have different likes, dislikes and needs. So if there is another cream that you think is really the best shaving cream, then please share your thoughts with the rest of us in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!