How To Do A Proper Push Up
Do you have some flab round your chest, aka man-boobs, aka moobies? Don’t have access to weights or a gym, but want to do some exercise to at least keep some kind of shape? Well, doing push ups is one of the easiest exercises you can do to start doing something about those moobs or to just get some exercise done wherever you might be. Push ups require no equipment, builds strength and can be done in a bunch of different variations (so you can keep things fresh).
The Right Form
When it comes to doing an exercise, especially a strengthening exercise, you need to make sure you maintain the right form! The correct form is going to help you to target the right areas and make your exercise as effective as possible. And when it comes to push ups, there are a lot of different ways to get the form wrong! So let’s figure out what is the correct form for a push up. According the NerdFitness, these are the basics to achieving the correct form for a proper push up:
- Your hands should be apart slightly wider than your shoulders-width.
- Your feet should be set-up to feel comfortable, whether that is slightly apart of touching each other.
- Keep your entire body in a straight line from the top of your head to your heals. Make sure you butt is not sticking out or sagging!
- Look slightly ahead of you rather than straight down. If you do your push up right, your chin should touch the ground when you reach it, instead of your nose.
- At the top of your push up, your arms should be straight and supporting your weight.
This quick video from Scott Malin shows you the correct form for a proper push up:
10 Push Up Techniques
Once you have the basic push up technique nailed down, you can start thinking of introducing some variety to the way you do your push ups. For 10 different techniques you can try, check out this video from BuiltLean:
Wrapping it up
I hope you found this quick article useful! Push ups are a great and simple form of exercise that you can do almost anywhere, and you do not need any equipment for it!