What Are The Best Safety Razor Blades? We Look At 5 Great Options
What are the best safety razor blades? If you plan on going the wet shaving route, you should make sure you have good safety razor blades (have the right tools for the right job). For me, a good blade needs to be really sharp in order to get the best possible shave. If you are still a novice though, you need to also look for a blade and razor that will be reasonably forgiving, so you don’t go cutting yourself all the time.
You will see that most of the blades I look at are double edge safety razor blades. According to Wikipedia – “A primary functional difference between Double-edge (DE) razors and modern cartridge razors is that DE razor heads come in a wide array of aggression levels (where aggression is commonly defined as being less protective from the blade). Due to the extra exposure of the blade, some “aggressive” double edge razors can take extra care to avoid nicks, but as a benefit they offer a wider range of cutting angles, providing many experienced shavers a more finely-tuned, closer shave, and yet often with less irritation than a milder DE or cartridge razor (depending upon many factors including the shaver’s unique skin, beard, preparation, and skill).” Double Edge blades are universally compatible across all DE razors, and free from patents and vendor lock-in, and so often cost a fraction of the price of replacement razor cartridges.
Which Blades Do I Think Are The Best Safety Razor Blades?
Below I look at 5 safety razor blades that I like and think are pretty good. However, you should know there are a lot of options out there, and everyone has different skin and hair. So I suggest you experiment with some of the blades and see which you like best and works for you. If you find a blade that you think are the best safety razor blades, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!
Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Blades
Astra’s Russian-made platinum-plated double edge razor blades provide a smooth shave and can be used with any double edge razors. These blades are fairly forgiving, making them a great option for those who are new to double edge or wet shaving. They cause little to no tugging or irritation, at least on the first few shaves. And for the price, I think these are some of the best safety razor blades on the market, especially for beginners. However, if you have very thick facial hair, these may not be the best safety razor blades for you. The 100-count pack comes with 20 sealed packs of 5 blades each.
- Each blade lasts 4-6 shaves
- Smooth shave with minimal irritation
- Forgiving enough for beginners
- Very low cost per blade
- For those with very thick facial hair, this may not provide the closest shave
- Slight tugging and scraping after the first few shaves
- Slight inconsistencies among individual razors – some provided smoother shaves while others were almost unusable
- Does not come with any sort of disposal or storage container
Personna Double Edge Razor Blades
Personna’s American-made double edge razor blades fit most known double edge razor and provide a smooth, consistent shave. They now claim to be 25% sharper, and the difference is noticeable. This is another blade that is beginner-friendly but also sharp and durable enough to satisfy an experienced double edge shaver. The quality of the blades remains consistent throughout the entire pack of 100. The glide-coated blades are individually wrapped in a dispenser package that allows for removal of one blade at a time. As far as beginner-friendly, middle-of-the-road blades, I consider these to be some of the best safety razor blades available today.
- Consistent high-quality blades throughout the entire pack
- Glide-coated surface provides minimal tugging
- 25% sharper blades provide an extremely smooth, close shave
- Forgiving enough for use by beginners
- Blades are not wide enough to fit the widely-used Merkur long handle safety razor
- Don’t hold up for more than 2 or 3 shaves on extremely coarse or thick facial hair
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
The Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades are manufactured in Sweden from stainless steel and coated with polymer for an extra comfortable shave. Although these may not the best safety razor blades for experienced double edge shavers, they are an excellent choice for those new to wet shaving who require a moderately close shave with minimal irritation or nicking. They are ideal for facial hair of fine to medium coarseness but do not hold up well on very thick hair. Because they are so gentle and comfortable, they allow for multiple passes over the same area without causing irritation.
- Extremely comfortable, gentle shave is ideal for sensitive skin or beginners
- Durable enough for 4-6 shaves with one blade
- Package is made with a built-in disposal area for safe disposal of blades
- Not ideal for very thick or coarse hair
- Medium sharpness does not provide a smooth shave immediately – a few passes over the same area are required for a very close shave
- Some inconsistency in quality throughout the pack, with some blades performing better than others
Merkur-Razor Double Edge Razor Blades
From one of the top names in double edge razors, the German-made Merkur blades are manufactured with high-quality stainless steel. They are widely considered some of the best safety razor blades on the market due to their extreme sharpness, durability, and ability to deliver a consistently close shave. However, they might be a bit unforgiving for beginners or those who aren’t yet comfortable with double edge shaving. Though they are pricier than their more beginner-friendly companions, these are the best safety razor blades for those who have very coarse facial hair or those who are experienced with wet shaving.
- Edges are very sharp, providing for an extremely close shave
- Excellent durability – these blades can hold up for 7 or more shaves depending on the coarseness of the hair
- Minimal irritation, even when shaving against the grain
- Great for sensitive skin
- Sharp enough for a dry shave when necessary
- Super-sharp edges are not forgiving enough for beginners
- They are much more expensive than most other double edge razor blades
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
The Japan-made Feather Double Edge Razor Blades are without a doubt some of the sharpest blades on the market today. For those who have been double edge shaving for a significant amount of time, I think these are some of the absolute best safety razor blades out there. They are widely appreciated for their sharpness and comfort. A platinum coating helps blades slide smoothly and easily across the skin for minimal tugging and irritation. I consider these to be the absolute best safety razor blades on the market for experienced double edge shavers who require a consistently close shave. However, these blades are not beginner-friendly as they require a very steady, careful hand.
- The sharpest blade on the market provides an extremely close shave
- Effective against even the coarsest facial hair
- Long-lasting blades are good for up to 7 shaves
- Individual packaging which doubles as a safe disposal case
- Smooth shave even against the grain
- Not beginner-friendly
- Costlier than some of its counterparts
- If not used carefully, will cause nicks and irritation
What Do You Think – What Is The Best safety razor blades?
Above I looked at 5 safety razor blades that I like and think are great. But there are definitely other safety razor blades out there that could be argued to be the best safety razor blades. So if you think there are safety razor blades that are the best safety razor blades, but are not on my list, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!